Birkirkara is the second most populous town on the Maltese Islands, were as of 2021 the population stood at 25790 inhabitants. The town consists of five autonomous parishes: Saint Helen, Saint Joseph the Worker, Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Saint Mary and San Gorg Preca. The city’s motto is In hoc signo vinces, and its coat of arms is a plain red cross, surmounted by a crown.
Gharghur is a small characteristic rural village, located on a hilltop between two valleys in North-Eastern Malta. It remains a perfect example of a typical Maltese village with rural and agricultural surroundings. As of 2021 the village had a population of 2,922 which is the second least populous town in the Region.
As of 2021 Gzira’s population stood at 13,021. In Maltese the word ‘’Gżira’’ means “island”, with the town being named after ‘’Manoel Island’’ which lies just adjacent to the town. The seafront of Gżira has views of the walled city of Valletta, which are illuminated at night, forming a backdrop to Manoel Island, the yacht marina and a seafront public garden.
Iklin is a small town with a current population of 3,247 residents. The town’s name comes from the herb ‘’Klin’’ (Rosemary), which used to be found in a valley located in the town. Iklin was established in the mid-20th century; however, some archaeological sites and a medieval chapel, named as St. Michael Chapel, are proof to earlier settlements.
As of 2021 the population of Saint Julian’s stood at 15104 people. The town’s patron saint is Saint Julian and the locality is wildly known for tourism-oriented businesses and nightlife. As a tradition, during the localities feast hunters fire empty ammunition from the church’s rooftop to salute the patron.
A geological feature unique in the Maltese archipelago is the large natural cavern at the Ħarq Ħammiem valley which separates Pembroke from St. Julian’s.
Hal-Lija is a small traditional Maltese Village with a population of 3303 people. Lija has a baroque parish church and seven other small chapels, the parish church is dedicated to Our Saviour and the feast is celebrated on August 6th. Lija became a parish in 1594, after the small community detached itself from the neighbouring town, Birkirkara. The town is widely known for producing some of the best pyrotechnics shows on the islands, also having won numerous prestigious international competitions.
Msida is a harbour town in the Central Region of Malta with a population of 7, 623 (2021).The town is located just west of Valletta on the northeast coast of Malta. The name Msida is said to originate from an Arabic word meaning “a fisherman’s dwelling”. However it could also be derived from the word ‘Omm Sidna’ meaning ‘The Mother of Our Lord’ since there could have been a small chapel dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God.
Pembroke is considered to be the country’s newest locality as it was formerly part of St. Julian’s. Pembroke officially became a town by virtue of the Local Councils Act (1993). As of 2021 the coastal town has a population of 3910 residents. Pembroke has the last large expanse of karstland left in Malta, covering over 60 hectares of garigue. Endangered plants are still found in the area and the coastal zone is designated a Special Area of Conservation (SAC).
Pietà is a small harbour town with a current population of 5311 residents. Pietà is the suburb next-closest to the capital after Floriana and its name is derived from Italian and signifies “Mercy.” Tal-Pieta’ is home to Villa Guardamangia, which served as the residence of Queen Elizabeth II, when she lived in Malta between 1949 and 1951.
Sliema is a coastal town along Eastern Malta, it is a major residential and commercial area with countless shopping outlets, bars, restaurants, and cafes. As of 2021 the town is the most densely populated on the island with 24412 residents in an area of just 1.3km2.
Lining the coastline is a promenade known as the Sliema Front that has become the ideal spot for joggers and walkers. Romantic moon strolls, barbeques and open air restaurants and cafes have made Sliema the hub of social nightlife.
Swieqi was a mostly rural town with few inhabitants, however during the last 30 years the town experienced a drastic change in population and landscape. The population stood at just 2439 residents in 1993, however by 2021 this has risen to 15847. As the town developed, residential estates took over farmland. The town’s name means “water channels”, a reminder of the region’s past. Historical sites found in the Madliena area include Victoria Lines, Madliena Fort, the Batteria San Giovanni and the Madliena Chapel.
Ta’ Xbiex is the least populated town in the region with 2189 residents up till 2021. The town is part of a small headland within the Marsamxett Harbour, right between the villages of Msida and Gzira.
It is said that the name Ta’ Xbiex originates from its exact geographical location as it faces the rising sun. The Maltese word ‘Tbexbex’ is descriptive of the sun as it rises. Others say its name might originate from word ‘Xbiek’ meaning fishing nets as would seem appropriate from its inhabitants being able to sail and fish freely from its shores.